- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
- Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University
- A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
- 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above
- According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying
I published a book, 'The Bullying Epidemic-the guide to arm you for the fight'.
The fact is bullying is starting earlier, the media feeds it and it's more damaging than ever. The book provides tips on how to recognize the signs of bullying and how to address it. Additionally, there is a list of resources to get help quickly.
For more information please visit my Anti-Bullying Blog here.
To learn more about my antibullying programs click here.